Skip to main content

Student research
and resources

CEHS Research and Travel Support

Graduate Student Research and Travel Support

CEHS offers limited financial support to help students conduct scholarly research and travel to academic meetings for research presentations. Any CEHS graduate student is eligible to apply. To apply for graduate student research or travel support please download and complete an application.

Download Research Support Application

Download Travel Support Application

Please submit your completed application to your academic department for processing. 

Doctoral Student Dissertation Research 

Dissertation Research Guidelines

  • Funds are restricted to dissertation research and may not be awarded for preliminary research projects required by the discipline. Students must be advanced to doctoral candidacy and approved to begin their dissertation research before applying for these funds.
  • Support is available only to students whose research is not supported by research grants.
  • The maximum amount of any award is $800. Students may receive this award only once.
  • Colleges/schools and departments are expected to contribute a portion of the cost of the project.
  • Examples of allowable expenses include postage, duplicating, expendable supplies, equipment, and travel associated with data collection; payments to research participants; purchase or care of animals; and computer software, equipment, supplies, or usage fees. Funds may not be used to pay employees or to purchase items or services not directly related to data collection. Items such as equipment, animals, and computer software packages that are purchased through this program and are usable beyond the time span of the student’s research will become the property of West Virginia University.

Prior approval and reimbursement guidelines

  • All expenditures and reimbursements must follow appropriate West Virginia University procurement and travel regulations.
  • Students should contact their college/school Expert Business Office (EBO) or departmental representative to insure that they obtain prior approval if needed and that they obtain and submit appropriate receipts for all expenses.
  • Students will be reimbursed in the form of a lump sum check for their approved expenditures. Reimbursement checks will be mailed to the student’s local address. Requests for reimbursement must be received on or before June 1 of the current fiscal year.