Every student intending to graduate is required to apply to graduate through the WVU Registrar's Office (see step 1, below) but is not required to participate in a WVU Commencement Ceremony. If you choose to participate in a WVU Commencement Ceremony, you must also register to do so and obtain official WVU regalia (see steps 2-4, below).
1. Apply to graduate
ALL STUDENTS MUST FIRST APPLY TO GRADUATE, THROUGH THE WVU REGISTRAR'S OFFICE.
To learn how to apply to graduate, please follow the instructions on the WVU Registrar's website. Once they receive your application, the WVU Registrar will review your records and inform you as per whether or not you have completed all requirements for graduation.
Application Deadline: March 2, 2018
Students planning to graduate in May: If you fail to apply for graduation through the WVU Registrar's Office by the deadline, you will not be permitted to graduate or to register to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony. Students who miss this deadline can apply to graduate in August 2018, per WVU graduation guidelines, and will then be permitted to register to participate in the December Commencement Ceremony
2. Register to walk in a WVU Commencement Ceremony
May Commencement Ceremony
May 12, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
After you've applied to graduate through the WVU Registrar and if you would like to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony, YOU MUST ALSO REGISTER TO WALK BY COMPLETING THE ONLINE EVENT REGISTRATION FORM.Registration is now closed. For questions, please contact Lauren.Seiler@mail.wvu.edu.
If you do not register to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony by the deadline, you will not be permitted to participate. However, you will have the option to register to participate in the December Commencement Ceremony, instead.
Once you've registered, please see May Ceremony Information and FAQ's for more information about participating in the May Commencement Ceremony. Please note the graduate reception information.
Students planning to graduate in August 2018: If all requirements are met, August 2018 graduates can petition for permission to participate in the May 2018 Commencement Ceremony prior to the completion of their degree. For more information, please download the Participation Permission Form
December Commencement Ceremony
August and December graduates, as well as those that could not register to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony, can register to walk in the December Commencement Ceremony. Please visit the WVU December Commencement Ceremony website, for more information on registration deadlines and processes as well as participation guidelines.
3. Order required cap, gown, and other optional graduation products
Official WVU regalia is available at the two WVU Bookstore locations, and online through Herff Jones. Please purchase all caps, gowns, tassels, and hoods prior to the day of your ceremony, as no regalia will be sold at the venue.
4. Check for any outstanding fees and holds
Students are not allowed to graduate if there are any unpaid fees. Make sure you are set to graduate by following these steps:
- Visit portal.wvu.edu
- Log in with your WVU ID and password
- Select the "Star" tab from the home screen
- Click on "Student Services and Housing"
- Click on "Student Records"
- Select the "View Holds" option
Note: to resolve holds, students will need to contact the office, the "Originator" listed, who has placed the hold on their account.
When is the ceremony?
Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
Check-in for graduates participating in the ceremony will begin at 7:30 am at the WVU Basketball Practice Facility - located to the left of the coliseum. Graduates MUST be checked in before 8:40am, at the very latest, in order to participate. If you are not checked in by 8:40, you will not be permitted to be seated on the floor with other graduates.
After registering, you will line-up by degree program in alphabetical order to process into the coliseum. Volunteers, signage and information given at registration will help make sure you are where you need to be. Please keep your "Reader Card", that you receive when you check in, with you. You must have your reader card during the ceremony to have your name read when you cross the stage.
Where is the ceremony?
The ceremony will be held at the WVU Coliseum at 9:00 a.m.
Address: 3450 Monongahela BLVD, Morgantown, WV 26505
Since this is a non-ticketed event, there is plenty of space for all your family members to attend. If any of your family members have disabilities that need to be considered, please contact WVU's Office of Disability Services at (304) 293-6700 to request special seating accommodations.
Immediately following the Commencement Ceremony there will be a reception for all CEHS graduates at the Market at WVU in the lower level of the Health Sciences Center. You must RSV in the commencement ceremony form or by e-mail to email@example.com to attend .
The Market is located at 1 Medical Center Drive, Morgantown WV, 26506, on the South side of the HSC building, ground floor.
The Market is behind the cancer institute. If you are walking toward the Cancer institute you go around to the right and follow the sidewalk around to The Market.
Who is participating?
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts graduates
- Regents Bachelor of Arts graduates
- Five-year teacher education graduates
- Master of Science and Master of Arts graduates
- Doctor of Education, Doctor of Philosophy, and Doctor of Audiology graduates
(CEHS practices the hooding tradition with doctoral degrees.)
What color is associated with my field of study and/or degree for my tassel and hood?
Regents Bachelor of Arts Candidates:
- White tassels
Master’s and Bachelor’s Candidates:
- Child Development and Family Studies – Light Blue
- Education, Elementary and Secondary Education, Special Education, Educational Leadership, Instructional Design and Technology, Counseling – Light Blue
- Rehabilitation Counseling – Golden Yellow
- Reading – Light Blue
- Communication Sciences and Disorders – Golden Yellow
- Multidisciplinary Studies – White
(Note: 5-year teacher education graduates wear master’s gowns)
- Green (Can only be purchased at the WVU-HSC Bookstore, 112-G Health Sciences Center)
All EdD Candidates:
- Light blue
PhD in Counseling Psychology Candidates:
- Dark blue
PhD Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Golden Yellow tassel, royal blue hood
See the WVU Commencement Attire page for more information about attire requirements.
The Cord and Stole Policy:
- The university will provide the following cords for Latin Honors, military and
- Undergraduates who have earned cum laude, magna cum laude or summa cum laude honors will be presented with an honor cord from their school or college prior to Commencement.
- Military honor cords may be obtained by service members who show proof of service at the WVU Veterans Office. Graduating military personnel who choose to wear full military dress to their Commencement ceremony may obtain these cords as a keepsake from WVU in tribute to their service.
- Rainbow honor cords will be presented at Lavender Graduation by the LGBTQ+ Center. These cords can also be worn at University Commencement ceremonies.
- Cords and Stoles may be used by academic programs, registered student organizations, University recognized honor societies, international students, and members of West Virginia University Athletic teams. Cords should not replicate the design of those provided by the University for Latin Honors, military or rainbow honors. Athletic stoles will be presented to seniors competing in NCAA-level sports by Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Medallions may be awarded for Academic Purposes only. For example, Honors and Order of Augusta.
- Students may wear a maximum of five honor cords, medallions, or stoles.
Formal and candid photos are taken by GradImages. Please visit the GradImages website to complete pre-event registration and receive $5.00 off orders of $25.00 or more.
Candid photos are also taken by West Virginia University Photos. If you would like to order any prints, you can do so on their website.
At any time throughout the weekend when the Coliseum lot is full, the new large digital signboard will indicate ‘LOT FULL’ and direct you where to go. University Police and Parking Staff will be stationed in strategic locations to help direct traffic. Please view parking map for more information.
Other Useful Links and Information
Students can purchase customized graduation announcements at www.herffjones.com/college/wvu. We also have announcements for sale at the WVU Downtown Bookstore next to the Mountainlair.