Skip to main content


Renewing Certification: FAQ's

Q: My certification has lapsed. What do I do?
A: If you are employed by a West Virginia county, contact the county superintendent.

If you live in West Virginia, but aren’t currently employed by a county, you should contact the superintendent from the county where you reside.

If you live outside West Virginia, contact the West Virginia Department of Education.

Q: What renewal options are available?
A: The following are available:

  • Master’s degree in a curriculum related to the public school program.
  • Courses related to improvement of instruction and to the educator’s assignment/certification.
  • Courses needed to qualify for an additional endorsement.
  • Credit prescribed by the county as a result of the educator’s evaluation.
  • Master’s plus thirty, master’s plus forty-five, or doctorate advanced salary classification.
  • Sixty years of age.

Q: What college credit is acceptable?
A: For renewal purposes, the credit may be either undergraduate or graduate level; however it must meet all the following criteria:

  • Be completed at an accredited institution
  • Reflect a grade point average of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0
  • Be completed after the effective date of the license to be renewed
  • Be completed within the five-year period immediately preceding the date the application is received by the WV Dept. of Ed.
  • Relate to the renewal option selected by the educator and the superintendent
  • Relate to the public school program

Q: What is the county superintendent’s role in the certification process?
A: The county superintendent is responsible for advising all educators who are employed or reside in her/his county about renewal options. Additionally, all certificates that are renewed or upgraded from the three-year to five-year or permanent status require the recommendation of the superintendent as well as verification of applicable educational experience.

Q: When should I file the application to renew my certificate?
A: The educator should file the application for the renewal as soon as the requirements are fulfilled, but not before January 1 of the year in which the certificate will expire.

For additional information please contact the West Virginia Department of Education