Clinical Experience/Student Teaching Permit Processes
“All candidates (at least 90 days) prior to commencing a student teaching/internship experience in a West Virginia public school must submit a Clinical Experience Permit application to the West Virginia Department of Education. The permit must be approved before candidates begin the experience.” (WVDE 3/13)
Criminal Background Checks
To be considered for a Clinical Experience Permit, the student must complete a criminal background check. Obtain a fingerprint/background check through IdentoGO by visiting one of their LiveScan locations around the state.
If students are located in WV, they may schedule an appointment for a background check with IdentoGo (formerly L1 Solutions) online https://www.identogo.com/ or you may schedule via telephone at (855) 766-7746. Use the following step-by-step directions to schedule an appointment online:
- Visit https://www.identogo.com
- Choose West Virginia under “Search for Service by State” and click GO
- Under “Enrollment Services” select, Digital Fingerprinting
- Select, Make a New Appointment to start the appointment process
- Under the “Type of Background Check” select Education and then click Continue
- Under “Reason for Fingerprinting” select (WVDE) Certification/Licensure – Applicant Pays and click Continue
- Under “Services” the screen should identify the WV Department of Education Certification, click Continue
- Complete Your Details section by entering personal information. For Employer County/Agency, select None (which will be in alphabetical order in the drop down menu), click Continue
- Choose the nearest West Virginia location (Morgantown, Fairmont, etc.)
- Choose appointment time, and then enter date on the Applicant Information Page of Form 24 (Part 4-Fingerprinting Process)
If students are located outside of WV or will not be able to appear in person at one of the LiveScan fingerprint locations, they may request fingerprint cards from the WVDE website http://wvde.state.wv.us/certification/forms/fingerprint.html.
For more information, please visit the Background Checks page.
Information and forms for this process can be obtained at the following West Virginia Department of Education website: http://wvde.state.wv.us/certification/forms/
The following forms will need to be submitted with your transaction receipt.
Form 7 -
Applicant Consent/Release of Background Results:
Complete top box with Social Security number and name. DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM UNTIL YOU ARE IN FRONT OF A NOTARY PUBLIC. Two notaries, Beth Lefevre or Char Allen, are located in 710 Allen Hall and can provide this service. Call ahead 304-293-2169. Note: You will need to complete a separate Form 7 for every county in which you will have a placement. Check with your program coordinator to determine how many forms you will need to complete.
Form 24 - Clinical Experience Permit:
Page 1, Applicant Information Page
- Complete parts 1-4. **If a misdemeanor on Part 2 is marked “yes”, the student will need to provide documentation of criminal judgement AND a written personal statement.
Note: Do Not Complete Part 5 or use Form 4B.
Page 2, Permit Information Page
- Complete name and Social Security number at the top. If there is a change of county school districts during placement you will also need Form 24A . For an out-of-state placement use Form 24B . Respective program coordinators will complete Institutional Information, Part 1 and obtain the County Superintendent’s signature:
- John Stallings – WVU Five-Year Teacher Education Program
- Stephanie Lorenze – BA in Elementary Education
- Denise Lindstrom – Masters and Certification Program (MAC)
- Jeffrey Carver – WVU Teach
- Bobbie Warash – Child Development & Family Studies (PreK Certification)
- Harry Boone – Agriculture Education
- Terese Giobbia – Art Education
- Sandra Schwartz – Music Education
- James Wyant – Physical Education
- Barbara Ludlow – Special Education
- Leslie Graebe – Speech Pathology
- Christine Schimmel – School Counseling
Part 2 – IHE and School/District/School Verifications: Will be verified, completed, signed and processed by the Certification Officer.
Criminal background check/fingerprinting - Students will need to pay online when scheduling an appointment through the website. If scheduling by phone, students can use debit, credit, check or money order (NO CASH) at the LiveScan facility.
Clinical Experience Permit (Form 24) – Students will pay online through the West Virginia Department of Education’s application payment system. https://wveis.k12.wv.us/certpayment/
**Please print a copy of payment receipt to turn in with the application.
To see current fees, check the WVDE teacher certification application website: http://wvde.state.wv.us/certification/forms/
All completed forms and supporting documents must be returned to:
Teacher Certification Office
West Virginia University
College of Education and Human Services
710A Allen Hall
P.O. Box 6122
Morgantown, WV 26506