Become a Teacher
To teach in West Virginia, the state requires that you complete an accredited, state-approved teacher preparation program, pass the required PRAXIS tests. WVU teacher candidates are also required to complete and pass an edTPA , a nationally-scored teacher performance assessment.
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
- WVUteach (STEM: science, technology, engineering and math)
- Bachelor of Science in Child Development & Family Studies (Preschool Education, Pre-K, online available)
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural & Extension Education
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art Education
- Bachelor of Arts in English/Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Studies/Secondary Education
- Master of Arts and Certification Program (elementary and secondary)
- Master of Arts in Mutlicategorical Special Education
One semester prior to student teaching, teacher candidates will need to apply for a WVDE Clinical Experience Permit. They will not be eligible to complete their student teaching without this permit.
Information and forms for this process can be obtained online from the West Virginia Department of Education .
Form 7 - Applicant Consent/Release of Background Results
Complete top box with Social Security number and name. DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM UNTIL YOU ARE IN FRONT OF A NOTARY PUBLIC.
Two notaries, Beth Lefevre or Char Allen, are located in 710 Allen Hall and can provide this service. Call ahead recommended 304-293-2169.Note: You will need to complete a separate Form 7 for every county in which you will have a placement. Check with your program coordinator to determine how many forms you will need to complete.
Form 24 - Clinical Experience Permit
Page 1, Applicant InformationComplete parts 1-4.
**If a misdemeanor on Part 2 is marked “yes”, the student will need to provide documentation of criminal judgement AND a written personal statement
Note: Do Not Complete Part 5 or use Form 4B.
Page 2, Permit InformationComplete name and Social Security number at the top.
If there is a change of county school districts during placement you will also need Form 24A . For an out-of-state placement use Form 24B .
Respective program coordinators or faculty members will complete Institutional Information, Part 1 and placement information
- John Stallings – WVU Five-Year Teacher Education Program
- Stephanie Lorenze – BA in Elementary Education
- Denise Lindstrom – Masters and Certification Program (MAC)
- Jeffrey Carver – WVU Teach
- Melissa Kelley – Special Education
- Ashley Martucci – Child Development & Family Studies (PreK Certification, online)
- Audra Slocum - English Education
- Tiffany Mitchell Patterson - Social Studies Education
- Jessica Blythe – Agriculture Education
- Terese Giobbia – Art Education
- Angela Munroe – Music Education
- James Wyant – Physical Education
- Karen Haines – Speech Language Pathology
- Christine Schimmel – School Counseling
JoDee Decker, WVU Field Placement Coordinator, will then obtain the County Superintendents' signatures for each application.
IHE and School/District/School Verifications, Part 2 will be verified, completed, signed and processed by Michelle Principe, WVU Teacher Certification Program Manager.
Criminal Background Checks
To be receive a WVDE Clinical Experience Permit, the student must complete Federal and State Criminal Background checks via digital fingerprinting through IdentoGO by Idemia which will require a visit to one of their LiveScan locations around the state of West Virginia.
Once the Form 24 Clinical Experience Permit application is submitted to the West Virginia Department of Education, the student will receive an email that contains a Service Code to use when scheduling a fingerprinting appointment. (Digital fingerprinting appointments cannot be scheduled without this Service Code.)
- Criminal background check/fingerprinting: Students can use debit, credit, check or money order at the LiveScan facility. (CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED)
Clinical Experience Permit (Form 24): pay online through the
West Virginia Department of Education’s application payment system
Please print a copy of payment receipt to turn in with the application.
All completed forms and supporting documents must be returned to:
Teacher Certification Program Manager
West Virginia University
College of Education and Human Services
608G Allen Hall
P.O. Box 6122
Morgantown, WV 26506
Initial Teacher Certification
Upon completion of one of WVU's teacher preparation programs, students will need to apply for a West Virginia Professional Initial Teacher Certification through the West Virginia Department of Education.
- Go to the WV Department of Education Certification Portal
- Register for an account *
* Applicants who already have a webtop account are still required to complete the registration process first before logging into the certification portal. This process will link your Webtop account to your certification records.
- Complete the
Form 20T Initial Teacher Certification
Form 20S Initial Student Support Certification (School Counselor, Speech-Language Pathologist)
Once the certification is submitted and verified by the WVU Teacher Certification Program Manager, an application fee will need to be paid online through the certification portal to the West Virginia Department of Education.
- Form 7 Applicant Consent/Release of Background Results (physical form needs to be notarized, scanned and uploaded to ‘Supporting Documents’ within online application)
Request an official
(PDF) to be sent directly to the West Virginia Department of Education's Office
- Under recipient type on the request form choose "Enter Recipient Manually"
- Select "PDF"
- Enter email@example.com
- Use the following as the physical mailing address:
WVDE Office of Certification
1900 Kanawha Blvd E
Charleston, WV 25305
Electronic copies forwarded from applicant's email are not accepted.
IMPORTANT: Before ordering a transcript, students should make sure their degree has been awarded, which typically happens two weeks after the graduation date. Students can check their DegreeWorks page. When ' Degree Awarded' shows in the middle of the page, then transcripts can be safely ordered. If ordered without the degree awarded, the WVDE will request that you reorder transcripts. Missing grades or degrees will not justify resending a transcript at no charge. Transcript requests are processed immediately. If you are a recent graduate, please do not place your order until your degree has been awarded.
Obtain Fingerprint and Background Check After graduating from a teacher preparation program and applying for a for your WV initial teaching certification, you will need to complete a West Virginia state and federal background check to receive your teacher licensure.
A service code will be sent via email once an application is submitted and on file at the WVDE. Use the service code to register for an appointment.
The results of PRAXIS I, Praxis II Specialty Content Area test(s) for the certification
area and record of completion of the
edTPA will be submitted to the WVDE by the Teacher Certification Program
Manager at the time of application approval.
The edTPA is a nationally scored Teacher Performance Assessment designed to evaluate
a teacher candidate's planning, instruction, and assessment skills. It was
created by educators, for educators. Stanford University faculty and staff
at the Stanford Center for Assessment, Learning, and Equity (SCALE) developed
edTPA. It is a process completed during the student teaching semester by the
teacher candidate with guidance from the university faculty. This assessment
documents and demonstrates each candidate's ability to effectively teach his/her
subject matter to all students.
It is intended to be used for teacher licensure and to support state and national program accreditation, and to support program renewal.
WVU edTPA Cut Scores
- 13 Rubric Fields: 32 out of 65 - World Languages
- 18 Rubric Fields: 44 out of 90 - Elementary Education
- 15 Rubric Fields: 37 out of 75 - All other content/endorsement areas
Links to resources:
Helpful links for teacher education students
- West Virginia Department of Education
- National Board Certification Standards
- Policy 5202
- Policy 5100
- TEACH Grant
- Praxis Test Score Requirements
- WVU Transcript Request
- Teachers' Test Prep
- Teacher Certification Map
- Check Certification Status Online
Background Check Information and Procedures
If you are located in West Virginia, you may schedule an appointment for a fingerprinting/background check with IDENTOGO online at uenroll.identogo.com or you may schedule via telephone at (855) 766-7746. You will need the Service Code you will receive via email once the West Virginia Department of Education’s Office of Certification receives your application. Use the following step-by-step directions to schedule an appointment online:
- Visit uenroll.identogo.com
- Enter the Service Code you received via email from the West Virginia Department of Education
- Select “Schedule or Manage Appointment”
- Enter your information as required in the next several screens
- Search for the closest enrollment center to schedule your appointment
- Select your center of choice
- Select date and time for appointment
- Review your information
- Students can use debit, credit, check or money order at the LiveScan facility. (CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED)
If you are located outside of West Virginia and cannot make it to a WV IdentoGo LiveScan fingerprint location, please see West Virginia Department of Education for instructions, WVDE Fingerprinting InstructionsNOTE: Keep your background check transaction receipt in case there are any issues with your fingerprinting. There will be a transaction number located on your receipt.
For questions and inquiries regarding certification, please contact: Michelle Principe, Teacher Certification Program Manager at 304-293-3983 or firstname.lastname@example.org.