Review the steps, below, to learn about the graduation processes.
Every student intending to graduate is
required to apply to graduate through the WVU Registrar's Office (see step
1, below) but is
required to participate in a WVU Commencement Ceremony. If you choose to
participate in a WVU Commencement Ceremony, you must also register to do so and
obtain official WVU regalia (see steps 2-4
1. Apply to graduate
2. Register to walk in a WVU Commencement Ceremony
May Commencement Ceremony
December Commencement Ceremony
3. Order required cap, gown, and other optional graduation products (announcements, invitations, etc.)
4. Check for any outstanding fees and holds (unpaid parking tickets, overdue library books, fees, etc.)
Students are not allowed to graduate if there are any unpaid fees. Make sure you are set to graduate by following these steps:
- Log in with your WVU ID and password
- Select the "Star" tab from the home screen
- Click on
"Student Services and Housing"
- Click on
- Select the "View Holds" option
When is the ceremony?
Saturday, May 13 at 9:00 a.m.
Students must report no later than 8:00 a.m. to check in. Upon arrival, go to the appropriate check-in table to receive your name card. You must have your name card to take part in the procession.
Important Note: The check-in location has changed and the new location is TBA. Please check back.
Where is the ceremony?
Who is participating?
Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts graduates
- Regents Bachelor of Arts graduates
Five-year teacher education graduates
Master of Science and Master of Arts graduates
Doctor of Education, Doctor of Philosophy, and Doctor of Audiology graduates
(CEHS practices the hooding tradition with doctoral degrees.)
What color is associated with my field of study and/or degree for my tassel and hood?
Regents Bachelor of Arts Candidates:
- White tassels
Master’s and Bachelor’s Candidates:
- Child Development and Family Studies – Light Blue
- Education, Elementary and Secondary Education, Special Education, Educational Leadership, Instructional Design and Technology, Counseling – Light Blue
- Rehabilitation Counseling – Golden Yellow
- Reading – Light Blue
- Communication Sciences and Disorders – Golden Yellow
- Multidisciplinary Studies – White
(Note: 5-year teacher education graduates wear master’s gowns)
- Green (Can only be purchased at the WVU-HSC Bookstore, 112-G Health Sciences Center)
All Ed.D. Candidates:
- Light blue
Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology Candidates:
- Dark blue
Ph.D. Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Golden Yellow tassel, royal blue hood
Formal and candid photos are taken by GradImages. Please visit the GradImages website to complete pre-event registration and receive $5.00 off orders of $25.00 or more.
Candid photos are also taken by West Virginia University Photos. If you would like to order any prints, you can do so on their website.
At any time throughout the weekend when the Coliseum lot is full, the new large digital signboard will indicate ‘LOT FULL’ and direct you where to go. University Police and Parking Staff will be stationed in strategic locations to help direct traffic. Please view parking map for more information.
Other Useful Links and Information
Students can purchase customized graduation announcements at www.herffjones.com/college/wvu. We also have announcements for sale at theWVU Downtown Bookstore next to the Mountainlair.
WVU Commencement website
Accommodations for disabilities
- WVU graduation Facebook page