Review the steps, below, to learn about the graduation processes.
Please Note: Every student intending to graduate is
required to apply to graduate through the WVU Registrar's Office (see step
1, below) but is
required to participate in a WVU Commencement Ceremony. If you choose to
participate in a WVU Commencement Ceremony, you must also register to do so and
obtain official WVU regalia (see steps 2-4, below).
1. Apply to graduate
Students planning to graduate in May: If you fail to apply for graduation through the WVU Registrar's Office by the March 3, 2017 deadline, you will not be permitted to graduate or to register to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony. Students who miss this deadline can apply to graduate in August 2017, per WVU graduation guidelines; and will then be permitted to register to participate in the December Commencement Ceremony
2. Register to walk in a WVU Commencement Ceremony
May Commencement Ceremony
December Commencement Ceremony
August and December graduates, as well as those that could not register to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony, can register to walk in the December Commencement Ceremony. Please visit the WVU December Commencement Ceremony website, for more information on registration deadlines and processes as well as participation guidelines.
3. Order required cap, gown, and other optional graduation products
4. Check for any outstanding fees and holds
Students are not allowed to graduate if there are any unpaid fees. Make sure you are set to graduate by following these steps:
- Log in with your WVU ID and password
- Select the "Star" tab from the home screen
- Click on
"Student Services and Housing"
- Click on
- Select the "View Holds" option
When is the ceremony?
Saturday, May 13 at 9:00 a.m.
Check-in for graduates participating in the ceremony will begin at 7:30 am at the WVU Basketball Practice Facility - located to the left of the coliseum. Graduates MUST be checked in before 8:40am, at the very latest, in order to participate. If you are not checked in by 8:40, you will not be permitted to be seated on the floor with other graduates.
After registering, you will line-up by degree program in alphabetical order to process into the coliseum. Volunteers, signage and information given at registration will help make sure you are where you need to be. Please keep your "Reader Card", that you receive when you check in, with you.You must have your reader card during the ceremony to have your name read when you cross the stage.
Where is the ceremony?
Who is participating?
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts graduates
- Regents Bachelor of Arts graduates
- Five-year teacher education graduates
- Master of Science and Master of Arts graduates
- Doctor of Education, Doctor of Philosophy, and Doctor of Audiology graduates
(CEHS practices the hooding tradition with doctoral degrees.)
What color is associated with my field of study and/or degree for my tassel and hood?
Regents Bachelor of Arts Candidates:
- White tassels
Master’s and Bachelor’s Candidates:
- Child Development and Family Studies – Light Blue
- Education, Elementary and Secondary Education, Special Education, Educational Leadership, Instructional Design and Technology, Counseling – Light Blue
- Rehabilitation Counseling – Golden Yellow
- Reading – Light Blue
- Communication Sciences and Disorders – Golden Yellow
- Multidisciplinary Studies – White
(Note: 5-year teacher education graduates wear master’s gowns)
- Green (Can only be purchased at the WVU-HSC Bookstore, 112-G Health Sciences Center)
All Ed.D. Candidates:
- Light blue
Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology Candidates:
- Dark blue
Ph.D. Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Golden Yellow tassel, royal blue hood
Formal and candid photos are taken by GradImages. Please visit the GradImages website to complete pre-event registration and receive $5.00 off orders of $25.00 or more.
Candid photos are also taken by West Virginia University Photos. If you would like to order any prints, you can do so on their website.
At any time throughout the weekend when the Coliseum lot is full, the new large digital signboard will indicate ‘LOT FULL’ and direct you where to go. University Police and Parking Staff will be stationed in strategic locations to help direct traffic. Please view parking map for more information.
Other Useful Links and Information
Students can purchase customized graduation announcements at www.herffjones.com/college/wvu. We also have announcements for sale at the WVU Downtown Bookstore next to the Mountainlair.